Main Menu

Scarlet

Started by Scarlet, October 13, 2012, 09:17:18 PM

Scarlet

I believe with the bilstein inserts, they are not a bolt in fit?  the struts need modifying some-how? Bilstein modified and sold the struts back in the day and the inserts are for those struts. GAZ only do a coil-over conversion for the front.
I used superpro bushes which are advertised on trade-me right now.
For the brake reaction arm bush you will need to use the later Chrysler chassis mount as they only make the later two piece bush
I also fitted two big original washers on the bolt end as I felt the fit was not tight enough.
The only bush you need to trim to fit is the anti roll bar bush, it is probably a generic fit for a number of models.
For the front track control arm you will need to G-clamp the bushes in and use a jack to squeeze the arm into the cross member, it was a tight fit,  the rest fit really well and are easy to fit.
For the springs I used Avenger Heavy duty option ,you might find some in a wagon model, your GLS may already have them fitted as standard?
I also fitted the later Chrysler wider front track control suspension arm, you will also need to source the Chrysler steering rack to suit or you will have little thread left on your tie rods and setting the correct toe may not be possible.
Buy a cheap propane burner to heat up the old rubber steel bush insert, then you can just push it out, then heat up the outside of the suspension arm, then you can just leaver the old rubber bush out.

streetracer75

I think your right about the Bilstein inserts and think you may have to change the top mounts to the roller bearing type in order to get them to fit? Someone told me some of the GLS were fitted with the roller top mounts but I am not sure about that? I like the idea of the GAZ coil over conversion but it seems a lot of work to change the whole suspension leg which is why I am looking at the Bilstein option. I am also fitting a quick rack conversion to the car and am going to invest in one of the same alloy mounting bracket like you have on your car. Not cheap for a bracket but I think it will be worth it.

Scarlet

Hi ,from photos I have seen the struts have a thicker tube and the shock was mounted upside down with the shaft attached at the bottom of the hub and the insert part attaches to the top roller mount? So it seems the only original part of the strut is the hub casting and the spring platform.  I think the bilsteins were there grp 4 strut back in the day? it is why they are a lot beefier than the originals.
I also believe a bit of machining is required to make those quick racks fit and the same with the solid clamp you will to tap out the existing mount bolt holes to 3/8 unf ,I did all four just to make the other side a bit stronger.
I would also recommend that you strengthen the cross member as I have, there is little point in having all these trick gadgets if they are all bolted to the standard floppy cross member, it was the first mod I did and it made a big difference in stopping the front end flopping around, even when the rest of the front suspension was standard.
I forgot to mention that for the rear suspension upper arm bushes ,you will need to build some sort of gadget to get the poly bushes in, much like the workshop manual shows, both of these are one piece bushes, the ones on the diff were very difficult as the outer bush is steel and was a tight fit
I decided against coilovers as I am trying to build the car period correct and without being to obvious at wof time

streetracer75

Yes maybe I need to investigate the Bilsteins a little further with regard to fit?
With regard to the quick-rack there is a guy on the ASOC in the UK who offers a conversion kit on an exchange basis  http://r.ebay.com/9s9vn1 
He is converting my existing rack to a 2.5 quick rack so it should go straight back on the car without any mods. Can you send me a picture of how you have strengthened your cross member where the new alloy bracket is mounted?

Scarlet

Hi, I once read on a quick rack kit for sale that the inside of the housing needs maching to make it fit but the outside housing stays the same. I had a look on his facebook page and you will see a photo of bilstein inserts he has for sale, you will also notice both ends are threaded, one end is bolted down by the spindle. In the photo of the bilstein strut you will see which way up the insert goes.
I could be wrong but it is how it looks to me in the photo and from picking up on what scant information I have read about them
I have put photos on page one of my cross-member. The steering mount has the extra triangular gusset welded to stop left to right movement. The other addition is the square plate in the cross-member channel behind the lower suspension arm and also the stitch welding around the mounting bolt holes to keep things nice and tight.

streetracer75

Yeah I think I am going to reconsider the Bilstein route and maybe look again at converting the front to coil overs? I am going to concentrate on the rear suspension first anyway. The  steering rack is being sent off for quick-rack conversion on Monday. When I get it back I will let you know how it works out.

Scarlet

yeah let us know what you think of the quick rack.
You could always look at upgrading your original struts.
Any plans for your rear end set up?

streetracer75

Rear end is going to be the same as your car. GAZ Gold ride adjustable shocks with uprated 2" lowered springs and Super Pro bushing to front and rear of upper and lower suspension arms. I like the look of the tubular upper rear arms you fitted to your car so may also invest in a set of those as well.

Scarlet

The modified bushes for the top front suspension arms. They are the same bush as the lower front suspension arm but the outer lip has been machined down and the inner end was also machined down to make it all fit.
Be generous when coating the bushes with grease as poly bushes have a reputation for squeaking if not done properly.

Scarlet

Part of my engine upgrade plans are going to include a Multi Spark CDI ignition, some time ago I looked at commercial units and decided they were to expensive, I sort of know enough about electronics to have a go at building my own and I found a circuit on-line ,it was originally published in Silicon Chip 1997 and was also sold as a kit-set.
I gathered all the parts together but had not started on the project when my dad told me there was a Multi Spark CDI in the Dec 2014 Silicon Chip magazine, it is an upgrade of the 1997 version as some of the semiconductors in the original circuit are obsolete now. (18 years ago)
My dad had to make up the circuit board for the 1997 version as the kit-sets were no longer available, but they made a limited number of circuit boards available for anybody who wishes to have a go at making the latest project.
Pictured is the later circuit board and the semiconductors available from Silicon Chip Australia. 

streetracer75

Wow! respect! Building your own MSD.
I wouldn't know where to start?

streetracer75

Hey Steve is this the grp4 steering coupling you got with your Q/rack you were telling me about?

Scarlet

Hi Gary, no that is a poly version of the original rubber coupling, the grp4 coupling replaces that set up and has a universal joint at both ends

Scarlet

Quick rack 2.5 kit, some machining is required on the spacers just before the shims to allow for correct play.

streetracer75

Hey Steve did you get the U/J coupling yet? He told me they are coming in this week.