Main Menu

Scarlet

Started by Scarlet, October 13, 2012, 09:17:18 PM

Scarlet

Scarlet is looking very good after a good polish.
I have gone for a standard look on both the interior and exterior, the only upgrades are original higher model spec Avenger parts.
I don't think the bullet mirror is original, but you cant beat the bullet mirror, so it stays.

Scarlet

Another view from the front

lookas

Very good detailing (polishing) job

Scarlet

Still plenty more work to do on the suspension, bought these beauties, some works type upper rear suspension arms.
They are supposedly stiffer than the production arms and the front bush is the same as the rear suspension, lower front arms.
The factory upper front bushes are a lot thicker so I guess there would be a lot less flex in that area also.
The boxes in the front are engine mount restraints, basically to stop the engine from moving around.
Probably overkill for a road car like Scarlet but I saw them for sale at a price a lot cheaper than what it would cost to get them made so I bought them.
They are made exactly to the dimensions as described in Dawsons Dodges in the tech articles (another reason why I bought them)

Scarlet

I haven't worked on Scarlet for a few weeks, but in the meantime I bought this.
It is the timing chain tensioner for the duplex timing chain with the wider tensioner pad.
Scarlet already came fitted with the wider timing chain cover but was fitted with the single chain and sprocket and some time age I scored the duplex chain and sprockets.

Scarlet

I removed the diff to paint and to fit the works type top arms. The diff was simply unbolted as you see it and rolled out the back of the car
I removed all the fittings as I am not a fan of painting the bolts and pipes all the same colour.
The original top arms are very flimsy in comparison to these ones, I can twist the original top arms quite easily, these ones are very sturdy to help eliminate the axle hop.
The front bushes are the same as the lower front but need to be trimmed to suit

Scarlet

I removed the front struts to rebuild them, while they are out I also wedged them as shown in the photo. (the plate welded down by the hub) It is how they strengthened them back in the day.

lookas

Very good ... Do you know which car have a same front shock absorber like avenger ??

Scarlet

These struts are the originals from my car, I believe Talbot Sunbeam use the same as well.
The shocks I am using are KYB 363005, and as far as I could tell these are the only modern replacement shocks that fit without modifying the strut housing. Other brands do a coil-over conversion.
These are made for the later Chrysler/Talbot models so you will need to use the later strut tops.
There are NOS shocks still available but I would recommend to steer clear of them, shock technology and quality has come a long way in 40 years.

Scarlet

And the assembled strut

lookas

Thanks mate for a quick answer, I just got a information that front shock absorbers on Avenger has same a Audi 80 (1990) .. tomorrow I'll check that :D

I noticed on that last picture you don't have rubber buffers, and shock protectors on shock ??  With reason you did not put, or ??

Scarlet

Sorry mate I do not know anything about Audi, but the shocks I used were only listed for Hillman Avenger/Talbot Sunbeam.
The workshop manual dose not show rubber buffers fitted and none were fitted, although the workshop manual dose show shock protectors they were either removed by a previous owner or they were never fitted. No new ones came with the shocks.

NZTiger

In the past I have used inserts from S1 RX7 which need a little machining on the top retainer nut and also earlier Toyota Camry? which needed a spacer in the bottom of the strut, somewhere I have the receipt so will post the details if I can find it.. both also needed either a spacer sleeve or machining the top to suit the avenger bearing strut top.

Scarlet

Thanks for the above information, in the meantime while the front suspension is out (for the fifth and hopefully last time) I scraped all the sound deadener off. A time consuming job but eventually the whole underneath will get done.
It looks a lot tidier and is easier to keep an eye on potential rust issues rather that hiding rust like the sound deadener dose.
Sources say that the total weight of sound deadener on a small car is about 15kg

streetracer75

Hi I see you are doing a lot of work on your suspension. I have a GLS and I plan to beef up the suspension on my car too. I have purchased the same rear GAZ shocks as you and plan to fit bilstein inserts on the front with lowered springs all round.  I also want to fit poly bushes to stiffen everything up. What bushes would you recommend changes on the front and back?