Main Menu

Oldschool's fleet of Avengers discussion

Started by avenga, February 06, 2011, 11:13:09 PM

avenga

I have heard it called Apache Red but I also have a sales brochure from the time calling it "Avenger Red"

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

oldschool

Slowly doing up the AR Avenger, repaired the small ding at the r/r and changed the gearbox oil...shifts a lot smoother with the correct 20/40 engine oil in it rather than diff oil...lol. Next job pull out the dash and fix the tacho and speedo needles curled up and stuck on the glass, then patch up the vinyl roof.

oldschool

Patched up the vinyl roof with some bitumen and fixed up the tacho and speedo needles...took a bit of brain-storming as they weren't metal like I thought they would be, they're plastic...so pushing them down to straighten them had no effect...they just sprung up again...haha
Thought of using my hot air paint stripping gun to melt them a little and then bend them straight...but I'd probably melt the whole dash...lol
In the end I got a knife and used a lighter to heat the end of it, then gently placed it under the needle where the bend started and pushed the end of the needle down...after a few goes the needle straightened up ok...phew!

Had fun with the steering too...it always been heavy and after jacking the front up I found out why. When I turned the steering wheel, it went stiff..easy..stiff..easy..stiff..easy..I thought aha! not enough oil in the steering rack, so topped it up, but it made no difference. Just about to pull the rack out to get it overhauled, when I thought about the symptoms a bit more...a light came on...what about the steering universal??
Sure enough it was dry. After a bit of CRC and oil it freed up and now the steering is a lighter than Oprah Winfrey!!

Paddy75

Great nest of Avengers lads. Good luck
Abroad and thinkin' of avenger

kierbear

i would classify Ross's collection as more of a cult
Li'l Blu

blekkja

So how many is that total? Three? Do you get weird looks from the neighbours?

I have had 4 Avengers at one stage (plus a XF Fairmont Wagon for a total of 5) - though never at the same place.
Chill Datto, bro!

oldschool

There's 5 here...I got weird looks before I had the Avengers, so no change there...lol
Westies are pretty relaxed about cars all over the place.
Not so in Mt Eden, my friend with heaps of Fiats on his property got hassled by the council after his neighbours complained. He had to put up a high fence shielding them from the road...looks worse than before...haha

blekkja

Wish I had photos of my drive on this machine to show off... must have forgotten to get them off the camera. Perhaps it is for the best: I can hide the same of exactly how many Marinas I have.

Fortunately I have an extensive carport for 3 cars (Could prob squeeze in another if I tried) and a large fence.

When I lived with my parents it was a whole different story. House was opposite the entrance to the main soccer fields in town, and right smack in the middle of 4 schools... and here we are me with the shell of an avenger upside down on the front lawn, Minis everywhere and at various times an A30, Morrie Thou Ute, Valiant, XF Falcon, and a selection of old Nissans... haha. We brought the whole street down.
Chill Datto, bro!

avenga

Awesome work on the Alpine Ross. I really enjoyed my ride in the Alpine on Friday, drives really well.

Grant did an amazing job on that seat. Looks better than brand new, he did a great job matching that pattern on the back of the seat.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

JoKer

avengertiger

lookin good now.i had wondered were that orange avenger from blenhiem went to.is it as clean as it looked on trademe.i was all set to go down with the cash that night but the guy rang back to say it was sold.
nice collection now.

oldschool

I'm spoiling myself having two Alpines, a 1974 and a 1975. Took me 3 years of searching to get the 1974 one...very special as it's the first year of the 100mph 1600 Alpine. So many haven't survived...raced, rallied, rolled and rusted!
I drove it back from Napier and parked it up. I think it's only done 115,000km and still has its factory vinyl roof which was originally light brown (same colour as the vents) as I found out when I removed the old windscreen rubber...lol

I saw the 1975 one on TradeMe last September, thought that would get snapped up quickly...a few days later it was still there(??) so I thought to myself, I'll grab that if no one else is going too!? I rang the guy, sent him the money, flew to Wgtn, picked it up from the wharf and drove back to Ak via my mates place near Tokoroa. Not without drama as the alternator gave up and the battery went flat on the way!
It's in good condition, no rust that I can find. The dash is out being recovered by Grant, then it'll be put in the garage to fit the 5 speed box...Note to self...don't drive it with the dash out, otherwise I'll get a face full of oil from the oil gauge hose!!

It's interesting to compare the 1974 and 1975 model specs...mechanically the same, just small upgrades for 1975...like electric washers, sports steering wheel, rev counter, head light relays and a viscous radiator fan...Chrysler were pulling out all the stops...lol
I retro-fitted a rev counter in my 1974 Alpine, uses the same Delco gauges as the 1975...and after seeing Richards Smiths gauges...I want to trade in the Delco ones...!!

Mystro

79estate

Ohh Yeeaaah! Looking Good there Rosss!! hahahaha

oldschool

I'm selling Scarlett in a month or two....I think Mikey wants her as his wagon is too slow...haha