Main Menu

Hunted's avenger discussion

Started by hunted, January 13, 2011, 08:05:50 AM

avenga

Yeah that is the way to go. old school mods. thats why I like the big oldschool dual dellortos instead of going EFI or turbo or anything. I have some electrics in mine like electric fuel pump and electric fan but they are out of sight. They had MSD's back in the 70's so that is period still. I really wanted to get a limited edition 40th anniversary MSD 6AL in the old school design but you can't get them in New Zealand so I settled on a standard MSD 6AL (which I ordered on Friday)

Here is a picture of the retro MSD

The decision I have made has come from the trouble I am having finding parts to modify my '75, namely the Volvo brakes and Electronic ignition plus other trick suspension bits I want to do. I was thinking of where I could get all this gear and then I figured I have all that gear just sitting in my race car unused. I haven't used my race car in about 4 years now and it would take a lot to get it back on the track so I have decided to start taking some of the custom bits off my race car to use them on my '75.

I have no plans to get back in to racing any time soon so it seems a waste to have all this trick gear just sitting there not being used. The motor and springs will stay in the race car because they are way to hard/aggressive for road use but I will grab some of the suspension bits, maybe my custom struts, camber plates and strut brace. Maybe swap the carbs over because my '75 is using "emission control" dellortos which aren't as good as the original dellortos I have on the race car.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

hunted

sounds like a sensible decision. if you have any goodies you wont be using let me know....

avenga

Haha. Nice try but I won't be selling any parts, just swapping them from one car to the other.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

RPM Photography

hunted

got the flat I wanted, so as of next week will have a nice double garage to work on the car

avenga

Awesome! That's great news. plenty of room to work on the Avenger.

I expect tons of progress pictures after you get back from Hastings.

RPM Photography

hunted

haha yep well i have big plans, so hopefully it all comes together fairly quickly!

will probably be the tidiest car Ive owned once im done with it, new carpet, recovered dash, nice paint etc. must be moving up in the world....haha. either that or its because im not a poor student anymore

avenga

Awesome news about the carpets, which colour did you go for? with me they were pretty fast at making them and shipping them. I ordered them on the Monday and they arrived Wednesday morning. did you order underlay also?

One tip my mate gave me which was really good is to get the carpets out the day before and lay them flat on the floor. This will help flatten out the creases made from when they fold it up to fit in the box, you may want to put something under the transmission hump so it keeps its shape. I just used a rolled up blanket. After that it was nice and flat ready to be installed.

It took me a few hours to strip the old carpets out and clean the floor. They old carpets were totally rotted so this took heaps long than it should have. I did it over easter long weekend last year so I spent the Friday stripping the old carpets and cleaning, then I spent the Saturday installing the underlay and Sunday doing the carpets themselves. I could have probably got them done quicker but I wanted to take my time.

If you don't get them by this weekend then I have a spare unopened can of ADOS spray contact adhesive. I brought 2 cans of it not knowing how much I would need and I ended up only using 3/4 of a can. I couldn't be bothered taking it back so it has just been sitting in my garage so you can have it if you want. I can bring it with me to Hastings.

I unbolted the boss kit for you last night so I will have that with me in Hastings, not sure what I am going to do with that fugly wheel now :)

Good luck with the WOF, you should pass easy.

RPM Photography

hunted

just went with black. the kick panels and door pods are black so made sense. yeh i ordered the underlay stuff, was only 35 bucks. The carpet was actually replaced last year, but with some shitty hardwearing outdoor carpet from mitre 10 and looks like shit. so it will come out super easy. hopefully the floors are pretty tidy, will just lay down some spray bombs if they arent. Am really looking foward to it, as it will make the car a shit load tidier. next pay check will look at getting the dash recoverd as its getting worse everyday

avenga

Black will look sweet, Yeah that underlay is cheap and really good to have. It comes in one big sheet and you have just a bit left over at the end. The trickiest bit to figure out is how to cut it up in to smaller bits to get it to cover the whole floor. You can see pictures of how I cut it under my gallery thread. also mark the holes you need to cut for the seats and safety belts and cut them out before putting the carpet in because once the carpet if in it is imposible to find where the holes are. I had to make up some little spacers for the seats because the carpet is really thick with the underlay so my seat wouldnt go back and forward without the spacers.

I was fully stoked with my carpets when I got them it. You can see how much of a difference it made on mine. One of my next projects will be to get that Alpine dashboard recovered and installed.

RPM Photography

oldschool

Avengers park lights shine through a window in the rear of the headlight. The OEM light was sealed beam Lucas, no longer made. The light size is fairly common across a range of classic cars and new sealed beam ones are available, but I haven't seen them with a park light window, hence losing your park lights when replacing a blown headlight!

hunted

just heard back from wof people, failed on exhaust leak (whichi I knew it would) where the down pipe joins the manifold. everything else was sweet though which is nice. Have a complete front section bolted to the 1600 so will just take that off and get it welded to the rest of the system on the car. so fingers crossed will be fresh wof tomorrow.

avenga

Awesome. Good to hear everything else passed. Now just to fix that pesky exhaust leak.

RPM Photography

hunted

yeh ive had it fixed twice in the past (gasket replaced, new nuts etc) but it keeps blowing out, and they fucked the studs last time they did it, so it will be easier to chop it off just after the 2-1 collector under the car, and then swap in the good manifold and 2-1 section I have on the 1600

avenga

Sweet. I just went brand new extractors and welded a flange on the end so it is easy to unbolt if I ever need to pull the engine out again.

RPM Photography

hunted

who did you get your extractors through? am picking up that race engine (which has run big end bearings) i mentioned to you a while back that has extractors and will likely use them if they are decent.