Main Menu

JoKer's '76 HN6783 Discussion

Started by avenga, June 05, 2012, 02:29:07 PM

Thomsler

I had not seen your videos of the circuit!!
That did not walk(work) the last time, nice!!
I hold my passion of my dad which possessed 2 Chrysler!!

JoKer

haha cheers : had the car stuck in the back yard this morning : jacked it up and put planks under the wheels : all sorted!

avengertiger

any luck with a gearbag? time for a 5 speed conversion ;D

JoKer

would if i could : easier to poke it in a corner till I can afford to do anything with it

kierbear

Have you sorted your gearbox out yet jared? it has been quite a novelty to say im possibly the only one in HB with a road worth automatic but get it going so we can have HB meets lol, all 3 of us!
Li'l Blu

avenga

Quote from: JoKer on March 03, 2016, 11:35:26 AM
A spare Alpine appears

bit worse for wear....

www.carjam.co.nz/report/?ref=DCFA81FC

1600 1976 Alpine :P removed from service & neglected since 2001

What do you mean? That will buff out won't it?  :D ;D :P

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

JoKer

HAH there's not much floor left & the vinyl roof appears to have eaten the tin top, could be better convertible Flintstones mobile?

NZTiger

What spark plugs are you using, should be Champion N7YC or equivalent for normal use, N6YC for racing.

I once had my Rally car dyno'ed and they changed plugs to N9Y. The centres of several plugs melted and 1 exhaust valve burn out on the next event....

Overheating from bad plugs, timing could lead to Head Gasket problems?

JoKer

Not sure tbh, what ever was in it when I bought it, Graham is out of stock & I'm still kicking myself, my theory if the points burning out and causing missing and back firing holds up right? Basically self inflicted damage...

avengertiger

good call on electronic ignition i put it on my orange one never fails to start.
i believe repco still sell the control boxes to same as the valiants etc

JoKer

cheers yea, one of them "round-tuit" jobs

had the bits for ages (even multiples of them in my spare cars) not being able to get spare points as simple as I'd liked was starting to worry me, especially when the car wouldnt start last week & that appeared to be the sole issue (felt like not fuel to me initially

avengertiger

great so you where able to help murray out,nice chap and his avenger looks cool another contact for the list.

JoKer

the system works :P yeah he's a neat guy to chat to, will look forward to visiting him next time we're up that way

avenga

Quote from: JoKer on August 09, 2018, 06:04:13 PM
Not nearly as exciting as Richard's V8 Build but this is to me...

Does Reverse Lights & the special thing so it only Starts in Park etc...

also note the Peugot Talbot labels! yep there's a story there of Hillman's Company 'demise' or on selling to the Chrysler Corp etc

Nah man, yours is better!! It has reverse lights!!!! None of my Avenger have ever had reverse lights. It was only an option on the Alpines and GLS, the basic models didn't have reversing lights. They had the place for them in the rear light cluster but they didn't add in any of the wiring. My Panther was a Super and my Hydra is a LS so neither had reverse lights. I am going to see if I can wire them up in the wagon though, just need to run some new wires down to the back of the car.

With the demise of Hillman, late in the Avengers lifecycle after Chrysler EU failed then it was taken over by PSA Peugeot Citro?n

Following the collapse of Chrysler Europe in 1978, and its takeover by PSA Peugeot Citro?n, the Avenger was re-badged with the resurrected Talbot brand with the Avenger remaining in production alongside the hatchback-only Horizon to meet the demand which remained for traditional saloons and estates in this sector.[11] Unlike newer Talbot models such as the Horizon, the Avenger and Sunbeam retained the Chrysler "Pentastar" badge, instead of the Talbot logo featuring a letter "T" inside a circle ? this was because Chrysler had retained the rights to the Avenger and Sunbeam models after the sale of Chrysler Europe to PSA, who only had purchased the rights to the Simca-based Alpine and Horizon. Production continued until the middle of 1981, when PSA closed the Linwood production plant and concentrated all British production at the Ryton plant.[12] The Avenger was discontinued with no direct replacement ? the Peugeot 305, introduced in 1977, was the closest car to the Avenger's size in PSA's lineup; although the slightly larger Talbot Solara (a saloon version of the Alpine/Simca 1307) had been introduced shortly before the Avenger's demise.

Chrysler retained ownership of the "Avenger" trademark, subsequently used on the Dodge Avenger 2007?2014.

Also been meaning to answer a few of your questions from a few posts back when you went to the junkyard

QuoteHeadlight switches, What does the internal turner do? (serious never had one or played with a working one)

It's a rheostat for the dimmer on the dashboard lighting. The Alpine's with the round gauges had dimmable lighting in the dashboard, on the back of the switch there are two extra pins, 4 and 5, and they control the brightness of the dashboard lighting.

QuoteDash not bad, lol no rev counter in Manual? not even a Clock!

In the early Alpine's the rev counter was optional

Quotegot looking at the Dash & LOL 4 digit Odometer? WTF

That's the trip meter 3 digits plus a decimal. They swapped odo and the trip meter around the other way on the AC Delco vs Smiths gauges. The dash in my Panther is a Smiths and has the odo at the bottom, where normally on the AC Delco ones they are up the top.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

JoKer

Quote from: avenga on August 10, 2018, 12:04:46 PM
It has reverse lights!

Prettyssure my 1st avenger had them too, a 78 GL 1300, well it had the wiring there & a plug on the 4 speed :P

nut yeah cheers pretty stoked the old girl is roadworthy again & ready to drive!

Aiming for Leadfoot 2019