Main Menu

1300super's Avenger Discussion

Started by avenga, May 24, 2011, 10:19:14 AM

avenga

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

avenga

Hi Sam. The Avenger is looking great in it's new home.

Looking forward to seeing all the upcoming work on it. Should go pretty good with the 1600 in it.

I just got my seats repaired and it didn't cost very much. You can see the end results over in my members gallery thread for my '75.

Good luck with all the upcoming work and just sing out of you need a hand with anything.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

RPM Photography

avengertiger

spotted today in richmond brought a smile to my face first avenger i have seen on the road here nice to see it motoring about looks very well.

1300super

Ive Just noticed that I have a Discussion thread. Ill have to discuss something. What does my car need?

avenga

Well I was going to say your car needed more carbs but I guess you have already done that :) good progress.

RPM Photography

1300super

Yep, Id love some twin 40s but I heard it really kills the economy. So hopefully I can get my Twin stroms up to a Useable standard.  And maybe some more low in the front. What do you rekon?

avenga

Yes twin 40's really kills the economy. My 1500 with twin 40's gets about 13L/100KM, with the 5 speed that drops to 11L/100KM. I used to get 7L/100KM on the old 1500 with the downdraught weber.

You can never go wrong with more low :)

RPM Photography

1300super

Problem being is the front crossmember is quite low slung. And coupled with the low profile tyres I may run into issues with mr policeman. Although last time i went through a checkpoint the officer was more intrested in telling me how he learned to drive in a Avenger & Complimenting me on how tidy my one is.

blekkja

Agreed: Mine is standard ride height and looks stock as. I've never got any grief in it: even driving it around with the warrant lapsed by over 6 months. It is all one colour and is old enough now that I think they must just assume that it is owned by an enthusiast (it is) and therefore it must be kosher.

On the other hand I got pulled for random checks in my Van all the time. A gloss black panelvan: mafia as. They have a quick look at the windscreen, notice everything is fine, then proceed to their car to see if I have jumped bail or have been anywhere near a crime scene recently. This is probably the biggest reason against dropping the super and painting it some eyewatering colour - I might as well get a grotty old 323 wagon and stick a giant rotary sticker on the back windscreen. I really like being left alone, even though realisticly I prob deserve to be stung more than I have!
Chill Datto, bro!

avenga

Yeah even my super noisy '75 doesn't get stopped by the men in blue. I have been pulled over once in my race car but he let me off with no WOF or reg and no cert for the rollcage etc. I told him I was just driving it back from my mechanics which was true. He was more interested in checking out the car.

I get a little more trouble in my Charger, been stopped a few times and they just check the WOF and check me on the computer. I think they stop me for 2 reasons, 1. The charger looks like a bad ass westie drug dealers car and 2. they just want to check out the car :P

RPM Photography

1300super

BOLLOCKS!!! Blown head gasket. Water in oil & Pressurised cooling system. Overflow tank is filled with water in a matter of minutes. Oh well. Not a huge job on one of these. Whip the head off tonight and see whats going on. Looking back i really should have done this before I put the motor in. But hey Its algud, she's worth it!

taylor

Badluck man, but yeah you're right, atleast you can get straight to it :P

1300super

God I hate scraping off baked on headgasket.

1300super

Ok sweet so the 1600 is all back together and running mint. No more water pissing out of the overflow. Hooked up the Vacuum advance/retard & fitted the new oil catch can. It goes really good now! Just have to put the horns back on & the bonnet and it will be done.

Kiwiflyer

Hi there 1300super, can you tell us a little more about the lowering job you did, such as, what model Viva where the shocks from and where they a straight bolt in, did you use inserts for the front or was it a complete Strut swap? and how much lower is the ride height. I would like to lower my son's car but have not been able to source the right shocks, want to go down by about 30mm but do not want to have to start cutting and offsetting the mounting points. Any info would be great!