Main Menu

Today, I bought a thing

Started by biltong_nz, December 17, 2016, 04:16:48 PM

biltong_nz

I paid an eye-watering $60 for this paper weight! Call it an impulse buy I guess.

I'm leaning towards it being a 1500 due to the LB stamp, and also a date stamped which is early 1973. Has double valve springs, apparently ran twin weber carbs before the car was crashed 20 years ago, and the engine was pulled out and placed in a shed where it has remained since.

Now I've just got the stock standard 1600 in mine, so what would be the best way to combine the two for more powerrrr. Assuming it has the high compression head then use that?

1974 Hillman Avenger 1600 Super

biltong_nz

Could this be an "S" ? Even though it looks like a 3 (sorry about the rotation of the photo). Maybe just a bit of the "S" has been chipped off?

TheMechanicnz

Yep, that's the S head. What size valves has it got? Or have you not taken the head off yet?
"It's better to enter a corner slow and come out fast than to go into a corner fast and come out dead"

JoKer

biltong_nz

Head has seen better days...

Inlet valve around 38mm and exhaust valve around 33mm. Can't get them out as don't have a spring compressor

biltong_nz

Could this be a wider time chain cover? Can't get the bloody thing off though!

Scarlet

The bolt post on the wide timing cover measure 25mm.
The "S" on my head has the same chip in the same place, but it looks like an S and not a 3

biltong_nz

Peek-a-boo

But I can't get this off  :'(

JoKer

coulda stuffed a cylinder full of rope "if" the head was still on to lock it or something, gets harder to get that crank bolt out the more stuff you take off / out of a car

might need to take to for a drive to a garage or somewhere with a rattle gun

TheMechanicnz

Any plans for the timing gears and camshaft? Need a set for the motor im building if you havnt got plans for those bits.
"It's better to enter a corner slow and come out fast than to go into a corner fast and come out dead"

Scarlet

if you cant get the crankshaft pulley bolt off because it keeps turning, put the flywheel back on and use a large flat screwdriver jammed into the gear teeth and rest the tip of the screwdriver against egde of the block, this will stop the crankshaft from turning allowing you to undo the bolt

biltong_nz

Haven't got plans for anything else apart from the head, so for sure you can have those bits. However am still trying to get the crank bolt off - it's on there tight. So I'll let you know when I get them out. Drained the oil today, and for having sat for 20+ years, was in half decent condition.

TheMechanicnz

Awesome, let me know what you want for them and a price for shipping to warkworth and I'll sort it out.

biltong_nz

Got the cam out. Part number 71981429. Quick search on here and there were no matching relevant part numbers. Is this normal or...?

On a side note, how do I get the lower timing gear off?  :D

TheMechanicnz

Lower timing gear should just slide off when the pulleys been removed as it is just slipped over a keyway on the crank.