Main Menu

WTB: Mild cam for 1600 Avenger

Started by Redassassin, April 23, 2016, 06:30:19 PM

Redassassin

Looking for a stage 1 mild cam for a 1600 Avenger with single dellorto 40, The 1600 I've got has a really aggressive cam in it. To get it to idle properly it's idling at 1500rpm and it sounds like a rotary at that. We think it may have a Stage 3 cam in it which is way too aggressive for a daily driver. When driving along anything below 3000rpm feels very "juttery" and the car actually seems a bit gutless under 3000rpm, but after 3000rpm you can feel it smoothen out instantly and then it REALLY picks up speed. The timing has had to be advanced 20 degrees to get it to run as nicely as it is... Although is is there anything else that could be causing it to be really juttery besides the cam?

Scarlet

Articles written back in the day say the best cam to use is the original twin carb cam, I was a member of ASOC a couple of years back and experienced members are still saying it is the best cam to use for road use, to give you an idea of HP figures I have seen dyno figures of 97 HP at the "rear wheels" using this cam and it will still allow your engine to run all the way up to around 7600 rpm and still allow your engine to idle smoothly and pull from low revs.

Redassassin

Ah okay, so I guess what I'm looking for then is a 1600 twin carb cam, are there different types of stock 1600 cams or should any cam out of a 1600 do the trick?

JoKer

Probably cheap to buy a spare motor or car Haha that's how it starts 😂

Scarlet

No the other cams are different, these were used in the 1500 twin carb and Tiger, 1600 twin carb and Sunbeam Ti. part number 71268712.
Try Graeme Ekins of Rootes Parts & Information, P.Nth 06 3536118     g.j.ekins@slingshot.co.nz

NZTiger

Any 1500 0r 1600 TC engine has the good cam, also have the duplex timing chain so look for an engine with the thicker timing chain cover.

Something else to check is that the throttle spindle is not twisted and that both throttle's are in line.

Redassassin

Quote from: JoKer on April 25, 2016, 01:14:22 PM
Probably cheap to buy a spare motor or car Haha that's how it starts 😂

Engine did come out of a parts car, had twin dellortos on it (one of the dellortos was stuffed :( ) and we knew the engine had some work done to it but didn't know to what extent, I think it's safe to say it was someones race project, we think the guy spent all his money on the engine though and didn't have enough money left for the gearbox, it was stuffed haha

NZTiger

I've seen these in stock at Supercheap Autos

Redassassin

Quote from: NZTiger on April 25, 2016, 05:25:09 PM
I've seen these in stock at Supercheap Autos

Avenger 1600 camshafts?

NZTiger

Sorry that post was for Heater Hoses....

JoKer

ahh Mint for me tho!

apparently the position of the Z pipe changes from early to later models, mins should be over Cyl #1 (yet its over #4 recon its a bitsa car)

means different heater pipe lenghts... just spoke to Graham about it

Redassassin

I can get re-profiled cams off Ebay UK with the part number 71981171, I'm assuming these are the non-TC cams though?

Scarlet

yes that part number is the single carb cam.
just a note about the duplex timing chain, you can still buy the chain and gears new, you will also need the wider tension pad to suit, Ross says all this will fit under the slimmer single chain cover as his Alpine was fitted with the single cover but was fitted with the duplex chain, my engine is a single carb and single chain but has the wider duplex cover fitted!
In my opinion it is better to recondition your existing 1600 engine and upgrade it with new twin carb bits rather than trying to hunt for a twin carb engine that is likely to be worn out and also the possibility it is just a standard engine with twin carbs bolted on which is a common mod.

JoKer

^^wow there's some good info there scarlet :P

Redassassin

From what we can tell the engine has been worked (head etc.) to take the twin dellorto's that were originally on it. The engine has been rebuilt as besides the lumpy cam it runs very nicely, doesn't leak or burn oil and just doesn't really smoke at all. The main reason I want to keep using this engine though is because I've dropped quite a lot of money on it already (between buying it and getting paying to get it all up and running with rebuilt carb etc.) and am not keen to just see that money go to waste. If the head etc. has been worked will it run like crap on the single carb cam? I'm currently using a single dellorto 40, Thanks :)