Main Menu

Avengers for sale around the world...

Started by oldschool, March 03, 2011, 10:09:37 PM

oldschool

avenga

Quote from: oldschool on April 11, 2012, 02:16:48 PM
Hey Richard, looks like you car is famous in England!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-40-DCOE-Webber-Carburetor-Inlet-Manifold-1-6-Talbot-Ti-Sunbeam-Avenger-/110857173207?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19cf9a38d7

Haha. Yup, that's my engine bay.

Quote from: Paddy75 on April 11, 2012, 01:39:15 AM
Imagine in 'The Sweeny' an Avenger out manouvering that big tail happy Granada so by the 1980's the Avenger would have had the reputation and image it deserved, instead of just being written off as an old mans car.

They did have an Avenger in 'The Sweeny' and it was written off :P

Let me just reword that quote for you.

Quote from: Paddy75 on April 11, 2012, 01:39:15 AM
Imagine in 'The Sweeny' an Avenger out manouvering that big tail happy Granada... instead of just being written off...

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

kierbear

lol you ought to charge him for using ur pics
Li'l Blu

JoKer

or edumacate him your not using webers

Paddy75

Hahaha very well done avenga serves me right for blowing my gub off!
I seen that, it was the film Sweeny2 I think. Likely they went to the breakers and borrowed a couple of recent write-offs then got the same make and colour of cars in an earlier shoot. As far as I recall the cop driver lost his foot and a wee girl in the Marina was mamed. I remember the paramedics (where they that qualified in those days?) taking her through the rear screen of the Marina.
I remember seeing seen the Marina is showing off its curvy dasboard in the next clip or two in that film.
I wonder was the crash caused by the Marina driver trying to tune his radio!
Or trying to turn a corner at greater than 40mph!
Or maybe the front suspension dropped, or maybe the propshaft siezed. Okok enough 'Minor-with-shoulderpads' jokes!

There was a Marina and Avenger smash in Minder too I believe.

Yes if they used Avengers in the chase routines is what I should have mean't. Fair play to ye lads.
Abroad and thinkin' of avenger

Paddy75

oldschool

oldschool

And here's another 2 door in England...same burgundy colour as Paddy's and mine....needs work, but cheaper than the NI one!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hillman-Avenger-Classic-Rally-2-Dr-project-/251051094837?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a73cfb335

Paddy75

Yeh seen that 2-Door must be a Super as has round clocks, he is after about two grand too much though. Maybe I'll take a look at it this weekend, oh the seller will get some shock when I show up in the Avenger!
(...ohh shit, no bullshitting this guy!...) Hillsborough Co. Down is only about 18 or so miles from where I am at the weekends.
I don't think the 2-door project on ebay is the same colour, as mine or maybe I'm a bit color-blind! Looks like a 'Sandalwood' one to me.

Burgundy? Oh-no 'Imperial Red' old-chap ratherrr what what - In my imagination the first owner of my Ave was a bit of a southern English posh sort of chap with his Imperial Red Super, rather than those horrid johnny-foreigner cars!

Anyhow I've a feeling that there is not a 1300cc in that 2-door going by the MK2 master cylinder!

oldschool

Here's a 1300 wagon for Paddy....glad we didn't get them in NZ....not enough power to go uphill and not enough brakes to stop downhill...LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140755234242?_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=140755234242&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr

Paddy75

Hahaha the 'Wurzel Gummige' Avenger! Jon Pertwee and Una Stubbs as Aunt Sally, Wurzel was often sittin' on the roof of the auld fellas estate MK1 Avenger.

Hey! Dont knock the 1300 Estates, they did have disc brakes!! So at least going downhill would not lead to heart failure!
I recently replaced the front shoes in mine, lucky boy, about 1/2 mm to the rivets were left. The 'new' deadly dangerous yellow asbesdos linings work very well. I thought the master cylinder was banjaxed and the new shoes have done the trick so braking is a much less stressfull event.

I wired up my rev-counter, 45mph @3,000rpm, thats with a 4.11 diff, what on earth would a 4.37 have been like!
Thanks to speedy spares I got heater hoses, breather hose, steering column bushes and a nifty new interior lamp as well as a couple of diff gaskets - 4.11 to 3.89 is coming soon.

Also, I was talking to a Millers Oil agent to get a gallon of 20w/50 - brilliant job btw, changed the oil to Millers and the engine is quiet and the oil pressure gauge never drops below 50psi (or whatever that is in homo kgf.) The (I think) 15w/40 oil that was in it would see the pressure drop to what looked like 25-30psi with the engine hot. The Millers man told me that the millers oil has NDDF which is some chemical that oil does not contain any more and so it much better protects 1970's engines than any new oil.

Okay now for the really great news! The Millers man is also a small Farmer. In one of his fields is...

A 1973, 1250 Super clean rotten Avenger!
Seats, good.
Strip dash with the Super trim level silver strip, good bar a small crack over the passingers side air vent.
Glass - ALL PERFECT! No windshield cracks or crazing - sure the rubbers are dead but the glass is 100%
Headlining, good!
Wiper arms evem look good!

So today I am off in the early summers sun to strip her out.

Happy days!

JoKer

hey gve drums a brake (pin intended) then have a tad more surface contact than disks! discs whatever

Paddy75

Yeh I think maybe people don't realize that drum brakes do have some advantages, little pressure makes for sharp braking.

Take a look at a few more pics I've put on photobucket. Got me some glass!

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g379/Paddy075/

Paddy75

Well this is 'For sale or Wanted' so got a time machine and a few grand? Some noce shots of various Chrysler-Rootes dealerships here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shahins/7281025832/in/photostream/

Thanks to Scott at ASOC.
Today I am going to rip out a strip type dashboard.

oldschool

Hey Richard, check out the photos above for a VH Valiant Wagon for sale at the Cantebury Motor Co. in the early 70's...