Main Menu

Avengers for sale around the world...

Started by oldschool, March 03, 2011, 10:09:37 PM

blekkja

Yeah except that is FWD isn't it? And it is more based on the 90s Mitsi built Avenger rather than the Hillman. And is basically gross. The new Charger or Challenger are better options if you wanted to go pentastar.
Chill Datto, bro!

hunted

Quote from: blekkja on April 03, 2012, 10:14:31 AM
As for the Avenger there is a good case for the Toyota Altezza being it. It is RWD and pretty much the same size and proportions. And is a really nice looking car - a future classic for sure. Cost is a bit prohibitive for me at the moment, but I plan to invest in a tidy one and hold on to it. (A 2 litre manual, without the spoiler and excessive bodykit)

have you ever driven an altezza? they are the most shit house cars ever made. my farts sound better then they do and some of my craps look better.

shame on you for comparing an avenger to them lol

avenga

most Dodge Avengers are front wheel drive but you could get the R/T AWD which was a 3.5L 4WD.

The new ones are no longer made by mitsi they are made now by Chrysler. it is based on the JS platfrom which was co-developed with Mitsi and is used on cars like the Outlander and Lancer, Also used on some FIAT's, Peugeot's and Citro?n's

The dodge Charger uses the LX platform which is much bigger, and the Challenger uses the LC platform which is a shortened LX platform.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

kierbear

Quote from: hunted on April 03, 2012, 05:26:41 PM
have you ever driven an altezza? they are the most shit house cars ever made. my farts sound better then they do and some of my craps look better.

shame on you for comparing an avenger to them lol

also, every man and his dog has one. so wheres the fun in that?!?!
Li'l Blu

blekkja

Park next to one. They are practically the same width, length, screens start at the same place... and they are a nice looking car. Common, yes, but the Avenger used to be a fairly common car once too. You make sure you get a 4 cylinder (because the 6s are impossible to work on and the 4s are just as good) with a manual box. The interior seems very clean and uncluttered - not billions of knobs and stupid gadgets everywhere which is nice for a modern car. I haven't driven one a great deal, just when they came into the shop, but it didn't seem too bad. I don't like many modern cars and other than BMW who makes a small 4 door rear drive sedan? And lets face it: I'm not going to be daily driving my Avenger in 20 years time - I will need a new old fashioned silly unreliable car to get around in. :P
Chill Datto, bro!

kierbear

i just dont like new cars. they all look relatively the same. old cars are better cause there are distinct differences like, its easy to tell the difference between an avenger and a caddy, thats y i love them. new cars, all look the same. not exactly mind blowing in design either. i wish they were practically the same, then i wouldnt have had to wait 2 weeks for a custom windscreen lol. If youre wanting something old to drive in, in 20 years time, dont you wanna buy something from the late 80's?
Li'l Blu

blekkja

Yeah: I will have a 1986 205 GTi as well. :D

Alternatively maybe a 'Widetrack' Bluebird Wagon. One of the commercial versions that had rear leafs instead of coils. I really miss my old one. Would have to track down a proper Datsun grill for it though.

Gotta be 1986, anyway. My birth year. My old man has 1958 Morris Minor for the same reason. Seems like a sensible option.
Chill Datto, bro!

kierbear

if i had won lotto i would have ditched this avenger shit and gone on a trip to purchase a late 50's bel air. lol
Li'l Blu

oldschool

Yes that's a very tidy one, must have been rust proofed, garaged and kept away from salt!!
Time to add to your fleet Paddy...it'll have disc brakes too!?

Paddy75

Oh now a strip dash one to go with the super, temptation!
Chrysler penny-pinching again, the very last DL's, they couldn't even have put the super seats and the very usefull door pockets into them, would have cost oh? ?10? I see though it has a heated rear window. Likely it was private from new and rustproven. Very likely in fact from speaking to a 1970's mechanic about them.
A good wee project for someone, Bristol hmmm that car could be road legal easily enough. I'll mention it to an uncle in-law that likes Avengers.
I can only guess the final bid would be reasonable because of the colour perhaps.

If I bought another one I suppose it should be a 1600 and round fronted, but the price of a clean 1600GL!
Abroad and thinkin' of avenger

Paddy75

Drum brakes, oh here is a wicked thought to keep the price down, ask the seller whats the front brakes. A lot of people seem to think thar drum brakes just don't work and fade away very quickly.

They don't fade as people think, the Avenger later 1250 and 1300cc's had a wide front drum the brakes do work well and it takes less effort to operate than non-servo discs. Its just if water gets around them it gives you a bit of a scare. I've found that when they are wet, in green Ireland of course that is pretty often! All you do is brake and release then brake again. What would be more of a problem is getting the original yellow asbesdos linings for them - just wear a mask when dismantling.

Likely that 1300DL has front drums, apparently the early MK2's also had them. The 1300GL had discs as standard and the DL or Super could be ordered with them.

Nice one Oldschool, clever way of scaring off other bidders!

oldschool

Well spotted Paddy...no door pockets, but has a heated rear window!!
I remember back in the mid 70's, glass manufacturers upgraded rear windows (maybe by law?) to include a heater element.
The new glass was fitted to all models, regardless of their spec, which is why even base models got a heated rear window.
If it was up to Chrysler, they wouldn't have fitted one in a base model...I'm surprised they even hooked it up...could have left it disconnected, like they did with the reversing lights...haha

Yeah I was thinking a 1600 would be nice for you with those hills in Ireland!
Good luck finding a GL/GLS...looks like there's only one or two left...Tigers are more common...LOL
It's strange, seems to be more 1250/1500's on the road than 1300/1600's??

http://howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=hillman%20avenger&p=0

Paddy75

Well, howmanyleft doesn't include either parts of Ireland as N.Irl has its own Vehicle and Driver agency so there would be a few more than stated there or indeed about half that went off the list this last few years ended up in Ireland.
But yes, a 1600GL or late Super as they apparently had the round front are now sadly as rare as hens teeth. Thank you so much Chrysler for not rustproofing them and not giving models to TV shows as Ford very successfully did.
Imagine in 'The Sweeny' an Avenger out manouvering that big tail happy Granada so by the 1980's the Avenger would have had the reputation and image it deserved, instead of just being written off as an old mans car.
Possibly there are more 1250/1500's because younger drivers bought the 1300/1600 for the improved performance so the older folks bought the 1250/1500 second hand and any 40 year old car that survived was usually owned by a pensioner for a long time.

Hmm the colour of that blue DL is growing on me! Oh hey give someone else the oppertunity of Avenger love I suppose.

Damn but I wish now I bought an Avenger years ago, women love it, one lady called it 'Rosie' its a woman magnet that car! I caught another woman fawning over it at a filling station and her boyfriend had to near enough pull her away from it. ''..yeh its a Hillman Avenger..now c'mon now..''

Yup I think we can all join the 'blame Chrysler' club, the cheapo seats no doubt lost them sales to Leyland around about then as the base Marinas got velour seats which for some women was a big prefrence - at that time, nowadays its a novelty.