Main Menu

Avengers for sale around the world...

Started by oldschool, March 03, 2011, 10:09:37 PM

Paddy75

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hillman-Avenger-Super-1600cc-Auto-34-606-miles-from-new-/150870483212?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item232094e10c

Its at ?1,025 so far, that auto is looking like the bargain of the year for someone. Right enough as you say the darker colours evaporate the moisture a bit better.
I was Mr Avenger mechanic yesterday because the man with the orange 1600 DL couldn't get it started and he called over to me to take a look.
He said there was a flood and it wouldn't start so he changed the points. I took a look at it and seen that there was no gap in the points! So just gapped them to a tight 15 thou and set the timing to 10deg BTDC with the lamp over the points trick. Orange Avenger is going again. He reckoned its running a bit smoother too.
Hey-ho, that must be a stripe earned!

His 1975 1600 has beed fitted with bigger pistons so I guess its a 1700cc and he has a Weber downdraught fitted. By the look of the plugs its running pretty rich which is I guess what a performance carbie will do.
So because its rich I set the static timing at 10deg instead of 12deg or so. Thinking a rich mixture means the fuel burns faster so set it to the retarded side of the house and I noticed there was a strong suck on the vacum advance. It seems to be running a bit nicer now so I'm told.

His MK1 Avenger has MK2 front struts I see and has been heavily restored, pretty much the whole bulkhead and gaurds are new steel and it looks well with its good thick coat of new paint. It still has the beige pocketless front door cards with GL seats fitted. He has a couple of round clocks dashboards, one with the later Smiths clocks and the other with the 100mph Delco instruments and he wants to fit one of them to the MK1 but I was thinking (and did not say for fear of being a smart-arse) he'd need also the metal lower part as I don't think they are the same, I noticed that the glovebox on a strip dash is bigger than a round instruments dashboard.

Anyhow he has been into Avengers since he was a teen when they were new and he has a a rotten 1971 Super in a ditch as well as two MK2's, a GLS Chrysler and a GL Talbot. The GL is currently being painted after a bit of restoration which his boy has been doing and can't wait to get it on the road.
So I was sitting in a MK2 Avenger (his GLS in his barn) for the first time in about 25 years! They (the MK2) seem or feel like a bigger car than the MK1 and the bigger bumpers and headlamps really do make them seem like a Cortina sized car.
Abroad and thinkin' of avenger

oldschool

Here's a 1600 DL Poverty Spec...with rubber floor mats, no door pockets, no passenger sunvisor, no brake booster but has a vinyl roof and a sun roof! The body and paintwork look mint!!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3529899

oldschool

Must be Tiger season...another one on eBay with a buy now of 11.5k...optimistic considering the last one there struggled to reach 4k.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hillman-Avenger-Tiger-Mk1-/320962876367?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4abae0d3cf

Paddy75

?5k for that Avenger in Clare? No way, and its not 1975/6 its 1974/5.  Sunroofs f*** them up I believe. 2.5k if the body is 100% sound. Those door cards look horrible and will that 500 bucks to right that.
I'd go for a nice DL in the morning, but not that one.

Bloody hell I'm being a right Avenger Princess aren't I!

oldschool

You are Paddy...all those glowing comments about your ride are going to your head...or maybe you just don't like yellow?...LOL

Paddy75

Ach, once I realized how much of a ***** magnet me Avenger is ... well, hey, I'm only human.

Wish I got one 20 years ago!

Hohohoho a guy in hees 30 grand Beemer looking like he is chewing a wasp when his squeeze is fawning over 'Rosie' hahahahaha

Oh there was a reason me Granda had 14 childer'!

BTW it was hisd MK1 Avengers that got me started on them, then I drove her...

Yes, people do fall in love with them. I originally didn't like the colour of her - but then, I'm stupid!

Paddy75

Those printing stamps are for a MK1 Hunter with the single round headlights, the cheaper ones with the iron cylinder headed Rootes 1500/1725 engines were still badged as the Minx apparently.

Paddy75

BTW that 1600DL in Co.Clare is maybe a Series 4, going by the window handles, tho that could have been a more recent addition. The S4 had front struts unique to that year, S5 - S7 had diffrent struts again so an S4 has the problem of getting replacement struts or inserts. Of course what you'd do is fir S8 on struts and the longer TCA arm.

The Avenger basic model up to the Oct'73 upgrage was like the DL with rubber flooring and pocketless unmatched door card colours and no reversing lights. They (the basic) also didn't have a grille badge, interior light, temp guage and indeed the passinger sun-visor.

With the late'73 (when the chassy # starts R3,4,5 instead pf RG or RB) upgrade, the DL got proper doorhandles on the front doors and a console. As far as I can tell though for S4 the DL didn't have a temp guage - going by old brochures I have or maybe only on the 1300DL was the guage omitted - Chrysler penny-pinching!!
The basic model was not available after the upgrade and the older stock trims were ran out with the ?100 cheaper SunSeeker models in 1974 that still had the square grille bade I notice.

The NZ MK1 Avengers look like pre Oct '73 UK equivalent Super trim level models with the silver strip in the strip dash, stainless door surrounds and door pockets.
You guys didn't get the GL dasboard with the 1300/1600 upgrade but thats no loss compared to a good factory undersealing your (much much better therefore) Avengers had.

So for the sake of intrest. Do the NZ standard MK1 Avengers, did they have the following, because I'm guessing the NZ standard Avenger was almost as the UK Supers. Or are the NZ Avengers half way between the UK Super and GL models?

Stainless door surrounds.
Colour matched door cards, matching the dashboard colour.
Are the late MK1's, do they hve solid chromed windowhandles/winders.
Do they have the chromed plastic strip over the roof-rail.
I assume all the NZ avengers had a two speed wiper and blower.
Were all NZ Avengers fitted with the heated rear screen (not on the UK Super or DL untill the upgrade unless ordered.)

The window handles, did any of the NZ Mk1's have the all metal winders?

There are of course diffrences between the Todd Avengers and the Ryton or Linwood built ones we got. Oh but I wish the Avengers made in the UK got the undersealing the Todd Avengers very wisely and rightly got!

oldschool

Here's what I've found working on NZ Avengers in the 1970's and owning them more recently...
The only NZ assembled models were:
1300 Manual, 1500 manual, 1600 Manual, 1600 Auto. We never built any 1250's or the 1500 Auto.
They all had boosted disc brakes, alternators, stainless door surrounds, fitted carpets, two sunvisors, door pockets, black dashboards and two speed heater fans.
Two speed wipers, along with a dash light dimmer were only fitted in the Hillman Alpine Sedan/Chrysler GLS models.
Only auto's and the Alpine/GLS models had the chrome plastic roof strip....many have broken off and been removed now.
The glass was made in NZ and all models received built-in heated rear windows from late 1976, including the last of the Hillman models and all of the Chrysler models.
They changed from plastic winder winder handles to metal ones during 1975.
Our Hillman Alpines had 5" rims, while the Chrysler GLS went back to standard 4.5" rims.
Only our 4 headlight Hillman Alpines got the 4 dial dash cluster.
All Hillman models had reversing lenses and main wiring fitted, always connected in the Alpine model, but often not in the cheaper models - no gearbox wiring cable, switch or bulbs fitted.
Lots of UK Hillman 1500/1600 Super, GLS and Wagon models were imported and sold new here to meet the demand, so they'd follow the UK specs...but with boosted disc brakes, alternators and door pockets fitted.

JoKer

Quotewith a dash light dimmer

what/where is this thing?

oldschool

See that tab on the end of the light switch?
Turn it in the dark and all will be revealed!

JoKer

Paddy75

A S4? wagon sold by Rootes of Maidstome no less.
The work around the sills might be a worry!
Delco clox and its a Super, square lamps round clocks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HILLMAN-AVENGER-1974-ESTATE-1600-SUPER-/160872003516?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2574b7f7bc

Paddy75

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hillman-Avenger-Tiger-Mk1-/320969548962?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4abb46a4a2

Okay Paddy boy, stop looking at the Tiger1 with the price dropping, leave alone, you know nothing of how to look after comp engines, leave well alone, seriously!