Main Menu

goin to see an avenger tomorrow

Started by avengertiger, February 16, 2011, 11:10:22 PM

avengertiger

hi all got chatting to a guy at the local car show last sat and he mentioned he had an old avenger lying in the paddock but it was in poor repair and had seen some competiton use.so i will go and have a look tomorrow in between fixing my old trooper!!! if i get pics i will post some.

avenga

Cool, can't wait to see pics and hear all about it.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

avengertiger

managed to get out to see the old girl today,and its not to bad at all looks a lot worse than it is,the history is a bit sketchy but he bought it from a guy who competed with it in the late 70s early 80s i looked inside and there was a genuine tiger combined inlet/exhaust manifold for twin 40s,a nice neat cage,spare rads,tiger airbox,and not much else the interior is gone all of it including dash,its got koni suspension all round,22mm anti roll bar up front,and is badged as a tc,the engine and box were not in it but he still has them,whilst chatting he has 3 more all in worse condition a 1500,1300 and another 1300,he wants to hold on to them for a while so not for sale but i will keep nagging him he is a nice guy.the others were a light blue twin headlamp model and a red 1300 stock square headlamp,the other 1300 is a series 7.
i only got one pic as he wasnt keen on it being photod as a lot of cars around it arent his and didnt want to upset anyone...
so here it is

outer sills need work and thats abot it from what i can see everything else is rust free,although trailing edge of bonnet will eventually break through,so my first sight of an avenger in the flesh in nz.happy days!!!

avenga

Looks cool.

Looks like a pretty beefy rollcage with the 2 rear diagonal members. I only have one in my race car.

Is that a little bit of a front spoiler I see under the front bumper?

It is a pity he doesn't want to sell because that could be a good project car.

Are you looking to buy an Avenger in NZ?

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

RPM Photography

avengertiger

maybe next year we have to get a house first as we arenting at the moment,and would like to have my own shed and garage etc,to old to be workin in the garden,been there done that.
im sure he might be convinced after some gentle persuasion,yes it did have a slight moulded fibreglass front under bumper,it was moulded around the number plate bulge also,it was meant to have come from the uk also.it seems the original owner imported a lot of parts from the uk hence the tiger parts.....

gt

i knew it wouldnt take to long! cant keep a good avenger man down for long :P
looks like a good project and some nice parts on it by the sounds of things.
but hear what your saying about the house and anyway plenty of time to look around
for the right car,but it does have some tasty stuff on it.........decisions decisions.

avengertiger

i know i know i keep devising ways in my head to get it here or somewere so i can get to it but na keep talking meself out of it,ye its got some nice stuff with it and i had to laugh when we were walking around it and he kept saying its a lot of work its pretty stuffed if only he could have seen some of the stuff done in the uk or home its a breeze to do,i wouldnt even say it needs inner or outer sills arches are sound and floors would be the only concern as its in long grass/straw.
were your 2 door???????????????
and is your ti done yet? did you ring pj on the seats?

gt

jees i would have burst if he had said that to me that it was stuffed! im very jealous of all thoise nearly rust free avengers
if only we had a few of them i would have all my project cars finished 8)
still at the ti,i keep finding/poking holes so got to stop that and get it finished its wearing round to summer time!
as for the 2 door.......will do ;)

oldschool

Anyone seen the Avengers at Horopito Motors (Smash Palace) in Ohakune?
Richard and I are planning on calling in on our way to the Nats.

avengerparts

There are two early 70s Avengers in dry storage in Wanganui which car collector wishes to sell on. Dead reg [i think ?] One may be twin headlight model. Phone Basil McCulloch on 06 3455897 evgs

avengertiger

a friend asked for some help yesterday to move his model a ute and series 7 avenger so i duely obliged and when we got it back to his workshop the avenger is incredibly solid except for the bootlid which needs a good repair or replacement.
but the interior is destroyed it looks as if the front and rear seals on the screens had popped out over time and the sap from the gum trees has mad a mess of the paint.here are 2 pics i took.
we need a dash and two headlights to get her sorted if anyone has these give me pm or message on here.

avenga

Nice. I would offer you my old boot but they are a bit different on the earlier Hillman Avengers. They bottom edges on a Chrysler Avenger are square and the Hillman ones are rounded.

It would probably fit but just have a gap. Not sure if the rest of the boot is the same or if it is just the corners.

Horopito motors had some headlights. Don't know if they are going for not. Ring them and check.

RPM Photography

avengertiger

thanks richard did you say horopito had headlights? the interior of the ones on the yellow car have rotten,you dont have a dash by any chance do you this one is beyond saving,i think its just the dash gauges and everything else should be ok.
it needs a carpet set to so will contact the people who supplyed your one.
thats interesting about the boots never noticed that before.

avenga

I took that photo at horopito back in May so back then they did have at least 1 set of late model headlights. Can't be sure if it is still there. It most probably will be. Ring them and check.

I only found out about the boots being different recently when ross and I were checking out his new Chrysler Avenger GLS.

take a close look at the photos you took. you can see the boot is square. then look at a shot of my '75 and you can see the rounded edges.

Actually looking at it more I think the whole back of the boot is different. If you look at your photos you will see the edge on the boot is dead straight. but here you can see on the hillmans it has like a taper on it and instead of having the edge straight it narrows on the back

RPM Photography