Main Menu

WANTED (Hamilton): Master cylinder / Shock absorber

Started by blekkja, September 13, 2013, 01:29:36 PM

blekkja

Warrant time.

I possibly will need a new brake master - my mechanic is seeing if mine will clean up well enough first.

Also if anyone has a reasonable front shock going to waste, I could be keen too. This summer I will want to put some effort into sorting out the old girl, and lowering will be a part of this depending on my pockets. I don't want to buy new shocks now when I might want to put different ones in a couple of months down the track. Just something that will get the WoF done will do - it's been too long and I just want a legal car again.

More possibly to come. Watch this space.

Reuben.
Chill Datto, bro!

oldschool

The Hillman Brake Master cylinders are aluminium and last very well...usually just need a new rubber cup kit, which i sell for $20 delivered.
It's VERY important to just clean the cylinder bore and polish it with brasso...never sand it as that will wreck it.
The piston can be lightly sanded to remove any rust that causes sticking.

blekkja

Apparently there is a lot of pitting... we will see. I think I ordered a kit off you some time ago - but the rubbers that were on there seemed to be ok so I didn't change them all. (It had been leaking out of the reservoir rather than the cylinder itself)
Chill Datto, bro!

blekkja

Yeah: definitely need a new master. It has lasted 42 years - I think that is pretty good. An average condition older shock, too, to last me a couple of months. I don't want to buy a new pair, and I can't really afford to think about lowering yet. (Unless somebody can do me an awesome deal on some springs?)

Happy to pick up in Hamilton, or pay post. The usual. Cheers.
Chill Datto, bro!

oldschool

Drop Graeme (Avengerparts) a line, he probably has new master cylinders.

avengerparts

What year is your Avenger ? May have new cylinder and front insert if your car is late 75 on with torsion bar [non-bearing] top mount. Has that little metal plate fitted to centre of strut top. Cheers, Graeme

blekkja

Chill Datto, bro!