Main Menu

JoKer's '76 HN6783 Daily

Started by JoKer, June 05, 2012, 01:59:11 PM

oldschool

You're spoilt for choice Jared...LOL
The 1600 LPG head will be the best one as they run cleaner than petrol with the valve guides lasting longer.

JoKer

ace thanks that Ross, what I thought, kinda the point of collecting the bits eh, especially with a competition car I'm quite likely to need some patch panels one day (yes I am trying to justify all those cars to myself even I don't believe me!

or

would the whole motor be better? about as much work to do either innit?

TheMechanicnz

Have you measured the valve sizes on the 1600 head? My 1500 S head was cracked so used the head off my other 1600 engine and the valves were exactly the same size. All the casting marks were still there so it hadnt been machined, also gives you slightly more valve clearances due to the deeper combustion chamber if you want to play around with stroking. Got it fitted with hardened valve seats and bronze valve guides and runs sweet now.
"It's better to enter a corner slow and come out fast than to go into a corner fast and come out dead"

JoKer

nah havnt got that deep into it yet, tho the thought crossed my mind last night about the twin spring valves, and whether they will swap over or if I will miss them etc?

oldschool

The twin springs might be needed for racing Jared as they provide a 500 rpm higher red line than singles.

JoKer

nah then not so important in the Auto : Road car then eh?

TheMechanicnz

Ive also been running the twin valve springs in the 1600 head the last 6 months with no issues, just using the 1500 retainers.
"It's better to enter a corner slow and come out fast than to go into a corner fast and come out dead"

JoKer

head out of the wag, fingers crossed

JoKer

Here's the old Alpine head that's had some work before / the brass bit at the top

& the visible crack in the center water journal, which existed in the new head so maybe that's a casting 'feature?

Either way car is back on the road now & 'running it in'

Big thank you list for all the work I 'appear' to have done to this car to date

My Brother Kyle & his Partner Lisa for delivering the car in 2012
J A Davison Motor Engineer for gearbox assistance & oem part (previous owner once removed)
Richard for hosting this forum
Wier's for parts & spare cars
Chris, Amanda, Lea, Kyle & Lucy Berkahn for painting / prepping / sanding & polishing the car over New Years
Scrimy as well for lending a hand
Nick @ ProTune Automotive for getting it on the road (more than once & sorting this head job out)
Car & Boz for the emergency Headgasket 2 night's before Leadfoot Festival
A&D Radiator Services for the re-cored Radiator
Allan @ Agnew's Autos for the tappet reset on the fly on the way there
Warwick for electrical
Graham aka avengerparts on here for the Gaskets & assistance
Geoff aka sunbeam on here for parts, Gearbox & heater Hoses
My workers for putting up with a car in a Wood-work shop once or twice over the last few years
and my partner Amy who puts up with it all & I beleive enjoys the adventures

JoKer

Mobile again, sans working temp gauge & speedo (both stopped before the HG blew)

1st on list to fix....

avengertiger

whats the boot lid like on that wagon jared? rotten?
looking for a good clean one with no rust.

JoKer

hinges just let go on the bonnet but the boot 'appears' to be holding up good, would be shame to let it go tbh as its good storage, & shipping might be an issue if you cant find something closer we can give it a go?

JoKer

something Odd I've noticed in the spare 'Blue 76 Alpine is this dash

appears to be missing 'anything' in the rev counter section?

Its a manual too & for a minute I thought maybe there was a clock there but there doesn't seem to be anything in there, has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

vitamin c avenger

Yep, its just what they did. A lot of alpines didn't have rev counters. Its just a blank. I had a brown 75 alpine with twin carbs and manual and it didn't have a rev counter. It wouldn't have cost much more to add one in the factory. Prob chrysler just penny pinching. Lol

JoKer

kookie : cheers for your comment :P