Main Menu

trying to sell hillm-avenger aquamarine with beige vinyl roof invercargill

Started by aerob, March 21, 2012, 09:44:00 PM

aerob

I am trying to sell a hill man avenger aquaramine with beige vinyl top, good condition. with a  few tears on brown vinyl dashboard,for a friend  in invercargill who is in late 70s. the car has had only one owner's and wondered if he might get better price here than trade me.thank you j ballekom 0211186468 or ballekom@msn.com
I have take digital fotos of interior and 360degree view exterior and will post them when I learn how to do that..

oldschool

Sounds like a great car...is it a 4 headlight (Alpine) model as they usually had a vinyl roof?
There's a glut of classic cars for sale at the moment and not much money around, so the prices aren't as high as we'd like.
Listing it on TradeMe will give you a good indication of the market price.
I've also noticed that South Island classic cars tend to sell for a bit less than North Island ones, maybe more buyers up here and they'd rather purchase locally than pay high inter island transporting costs.

aerob

here are some pictures, i dont think the vinyl roof is the original one. what price should I start listing it at,, it has warrant etc, is 500 too much?

blekkja

Chill Datto, bro!

avenga

From recent Avengers sold on TradeMe, the going price seems to be about $1000-2500.

Your particular models has a few pros and cons which affect it's value but overall I think it should go for around $2k.

Pros:

Looks tidy and well looked after
One owner
The larger 1600cc engine
Upmarket GL model with vinyl roof (pity its not a GLS).

Cons

Late model Chrysler Avengers are typically worth less than the equivalent Hillman Avenger model (If it was an earlier Hillman Avenger Alpine it would be worth more)
Location, as Ross (Oldschool) said, South Island cars tend to go for less than North Island cars as a lot of car collectors live up north and shipping from invercargill is expensive.

Summary

I think it is a very tidy example of a late model upmarket Avenger which should be able to fetch a decent ammount at auction but it is hard to say with the economy the way it is now, cars seem to be selling for less and less each day, I brought my Avenger for $4,000 a few years back, I doubt I could get that for it now.

I would say if you want a quick sale stick it on TradeMe with a $500-1500 reserve then hope for the best. We had a member sell his Avenger recently on a $1 reserve auction and it went for around $2400, it all depends on the market and how quickly you want to sell it. There is a Hillman Avenger on TradeMe at the moment for $4,000 but he seems to be having trouble selling it as he has listed it a few times without selling it, I don't think he will be able to sell it for the $4k he wants.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

aerob

thanks for the kind and helpful advice, when one wants good information its always best to seek out the experts. I will list it on trademe with all the details and put a modest reserve price. The owner isnt  driving it any longer because of sight. So a moderate quick sale rather than a get rid of it now..or a hangout for every last penny option . I will be conservative when I tell him about possible value, coz we are in the south and the market rules above anything else. thankyou

blekkja

I think you should be aiming at $1500 - $2000. It might even be worth more, but hard to say from pictures. Richard is right with his market analysis though. I'd say try it at 2k and if it doesn't go relist at 1800. Don't go less than $1500 - if you sell it for cheaper than that it's only going to end up being brought by some munter and ruined.
Chill Datto, bro!

kierbear

yea, i paid $2,200 for mine ( i think) and that seemed a bit like over paying (LOL), i think the vinyl roof mite be a deterrant for some people too. and photos of engine bay and upholstery might be helpful
Li'l Blu

oldschool

I think the vans/wagons will be worth the most in the future as they're so rare...and auto's aren't common either.
Here's my pecking order of value...what do you guys think??

1. Hillman Wagon/Van
2. Chrysler Wagon/Van
3, Hillman Alpine/GLS
4. Hillman 1600 Auto
5. Hillman 1600 Manual
6. Hillman 1300 Manual
7. Chrysler 1600 GLS Auto
8. Chrysler 1600 Auto
9. Chrysler 1600 GLS Manual
10. Chrysler 1600 Manual
11. Chrysler 1300 Manual

avenga

Yeah that seems about right. I would probably move the Alpine to above the Chrysler Wagon/Van and probably the Chrysler 1600 GLS Manual above the Chrysler 1600 Auto.

So my order would be.

1. Hillman Wagon/Van
2. Hillman Alpine/GLS
3. Chrysler Wagon/Van
4. Hillman 1600 Auto
5. Hillman 1600 Manual
6. Hillman 1300 Manual
7. Chrysler 1600 GLS Auto
8. Chrysler 1600 GLS Manual
9. Chrysler 1600 Auto
10. Chrysler 1600 Manual
11. Chrysler 1300 Manual

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

RPM Photography

oldschool

Maybe no 1500 TC's left now?? A TC would be more valuable, like the imported 2 doors.

avenga

Same, I don't think there are any TC's left. I know a few people who used to own them but never seen one in real life, the most I have seen is the front seats out of one.

Okay, so new list including rare and imported Avengers. The first 2 on the list are pointless because I don't think there are any in NZ but I will put them in for completeness.

1. Hillman Avenger Tigers
2. Imported special edition Avengers e.g Sunseeker or Top hat
3. Imported 2 door Avengers
4. Imported performance models e.g GT and GLS
5. Hillman 1500 TC
6. Hillman Wagon/Van
7. Hillman Alpine/GLS
8. Chrysler Wagon/Van
9. Hillman 1600 Auto
10. Hillman 1600 Manual
11. Hillman 1300 Manual
12. Chrysler 1600 GLS Auto
13. Chrysler 1600 GLS Manual
14. Chrysler 1600 Auto
15. Chrysler 1600 Manual
16. Chrysler 1300 Manual

RPM Photography

kierbear

yea but you can still have an avenger wagon that's shit, youre not going to get lots of money for it. depends on how nice you are to the car lol
Li'l Blu

blekkja

Where do you put Lotus powered Panelvan/Ute conversions on that list? :P
Chill Datto, bro!