Main Menu

'73 DL for sale

Started by Paddy75, August 27, 2011, 12:35:48 AM

avenga

Nice colour. We never got the DL in NZ.

We just had the Super, TC and Alpine for the Hillman Avengers, then GL GLS and LS for the Chrysler Avengers.

The Avenger Alpine, Avenger TC and Avenger Van were all only sold in NZ. We didn't follow the UK model names very closely.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

Paddy75

DL meant DeLux. That mean't the car had a heater. I believed it followed the English post-war car badging.
In 1970 the DL came with, 1 speed wiper, heater, door pulls and no reversing lights.
The next up was the Super (Super DeLux or SDL you'd see on BL's excuces.)
Super = was DL + reversing lights, carpet, door bins, inside door handles, better seats, 2 speed wipers, noise insulation and a slightly diffrent dashboard - had a lip and oil & volts on the clocks.
The '70-73 super dash was the strip style with an oil and voltmeter.

Then the GL or GT. Good seats, round headlights, four circular binnacle - the Alpine dashboard.
'73-'77 Super got the GL/Alpine Dashboard.
From what I can see the NZ Avengers were the same trim spec' apart from the Supers always had the strip dash.
However thats very little to trade for an Avenger that was much better built, esp. with regards to rustproofing.
I'm thinking of buying a '74 year model (round grille badge) brochure. I'll scan the pages and post.
Abroad and thinkin' of avenger

Paddy75

If you guys want this one, and the seller can wait on collection I can buy.

This is after 1/1/1973 so its not tax-exempt.m Also I'm pretty sur it would have the improved gearbox. If you look carefully you can dee the super-stingy DL interior, door-pulls!

Anybody fancy a 1250 with drums?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HILLMAN-AVENGER-BLUE-/320749585843?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aae2a45b3

avenga

Our Super's had the simply strip dash with no oil and voltmeter. They also only had single speed wipers and no reverse light. The Super spec stayed the same until the facelift when it was replaced by the Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL which was the new entry level model in NZ.

My '75 is a 1300 Super and my '80 is a 1.3GL, both started off life as the entry level models. Both have since been repowered with bigger engines.

I am just about to upgrade my Super to have a GL/Alpine dashboard and 4 headlights.

In NZ we get cheaper tax on cars once they reach 40 years old so next year my Charger will be cheap tax and then in 2015 my Avenger will be cheaper. They go from around $250 a year in tax to about $90 after they are 40.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

RPM Photography

Paddy75

Paddy75

There was a 1300 and 1600TC model sold in the UK & I, would have had the same spec as an Alpine. The 1300TC is very hard to find, but I'm looking for a TC inlet manifold.

oldschool

Buying a 1000 pound car, transporting it to Southampton (1 pound per mile) plus 1400 pound shipping costs from Southampton to Auckland = 2400+ pounds.
Then there's 15% NZ import tax and $1200+ for unloading/cleaning/compliance making at least $7000 all up, so not worth bringing in a base model, unless you REALLY WANT IT!!

Paddy75

Right, well $7k is too much, but in 10 years time, I'd say people will be doing it. My clean 1300Super

Paddy75

JoKer

no ones gunna import that to NZ

hate to be the kill joy but just aint going to happen, plenty here already

1300super

Yea Ive got to agree, not only does importing one cost mega $$$$ but then youve got the hassles of it passing vinning, and If they found any rust during the vin check, then youd be looking at rust repair certification and all that bulls**t.

Paddy75

So if there is no rust? Its expensive sure, and is it easy to get a clean Hilman shape?

avenga

I think in NZ there are still plenty of good Avengers left so I don't think we need to go to the expense of importing just yet.

If you look at some of the Avengers brought by members recently like "1300super"s which is really tidy and they go for around

RPM Photography

Paddy75

Okay no bother so NZ is avenger heaven or whatever. I'll quit junking the forum with ads. And btw, I'm paid in euro, Irl is (unfortunatly) that.