Main Menu

Price Check - 74 Avenger

Started by Axlkilla, June 06, 2011, 08:31:58 PM

avenga

I went to see Axel's Avenger last night and it is a tidy little car.

It is actually a pretty rare car because it is a UK built Avenger!!! It has full UK tags and still has it's numbers matching 1500.

You can see a lot of differences between the NZ 1500 Super like mine and Axel's UK 1500 Super. The seats are a different design and some other bits that make it unique.

I think originally it was a '73 and imported in to NZ in '74. I don't know why anyone would import a 1500 Super when you could buy the exact same car NZ built but it does make it rare and gives it good history.

Having seen the condition of the Avenger and it's history it has to go to a collector. You wouldn't probably be able to find another UK built 1500 Super in NZ so it is a one of a kind car in NZ so we need to save this one.

So, anyone looking for a cool project with some unique history?

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

Axlkilla

Clutch is currently being installed! Thanks Avenga.

I talked to my grandfather about why it would be imported, he said he imported one himself.

The reason being that at the time cars in NZ were really expensive, even comparable to houses. He was moving from England (as were quite a few people at the time) and as furniture was still hand-made it was also very expensive so he shipped all of that and the car together and apparently that was quite a popular idea.

Also at the time, if you had owned the car for a year in england, and then kept it for a year in NZ you didnt have to pay any import duties so it was definately the cheapest option.

The other reason was that for a time when the factory was moving from porirua to petone (or the other way around, cant remember) the company had a deal with the government that let them import some from england to fill the gap in the market. He wasn't sure when exactly that was.

For anyone interested, he worked in the factory in england and probably built part of the car I am selling so he knows them pretty well inside and out.

Anyway, it is going to be tough seeing her go, and if I had the time, space and cash I would be fighting tooth and nail to keep her. But unfortunately that cant happen.

avenga

Cool, I'm glad your getting the clutch installed. Give me a yell when it is back up and running so we can get some pictures of the 2 Avengers together before you sell it.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

RPM Photography

oldschool

There's a few UK Mk1 Avengers around. I remember seeing a 1600 one 3 years ago near Dannevirke. Knew straight away it was from the UK because of the large VIN plate. I think lots of wagons came in built up from the UK too, as we couldn't assemble them fast enough here...lol

Axlkilla

Have sold her. She wont be going for a month as the guy is paying it off. Gunna be sad to se her go.

avenga

Damn man. Did you tell the new owner about the website?

Give me a yell before you let it go because I want to get some shots of the Avengers together.

What did you end up getting for it?

RPM Photography

Axlkilla

Yea man, gave them the sticker and stuff. I'm hoping they post so I can see what happens to her.

I'll try and find some time for you to come take photos but it is in Albany at the moment.

I got $2000 in the end.