Main Menu

Wtb diff/rear end

Started by biltong_nz, December 30, 2018, 02:22:52 PM

biltong_nz

Hey team,

Some of you may know that I was a bit too cruel at the OS drag day and happened to cause some damage. Original thoughts were snapped axle shaft as when jacked up, back left wheel spun freely with no resistance, opposed to back right which felt normal.

Which makes me think the problem is in the diff. So I'm looking for a new rear end (diff, axles and drums) if possible, to make replacement easier in the short time I have before Leadfoot.

If anyone has something suitable, please let me know

Cheers
1974 Hillman Avenger 1600 Super

JoKer

yeah either Axle or the Spider gears gone #1 & #2 bet, nothing hanging about soz & bit too keen to hang onto the spares I do gave of those kind (mind you I do have 3x complete sets under cars still)

& there's not really anything else you can swap in from other makes or models sadly without engineering / welding work

Start with jacking it up & pulling Rear cover off (prepare for a mess / couple of Liters of oil will come out)

& that will define your problem & you might get away with just the Nugget (or Pumpkin I've heard some call it)

or if it's an Axle, you can leave the majority of 'diff' there & swap them out (good idea to do both if it is, the other might not last much longer)

at a pinch I 'could' be arm twisted to maybe swap your complete unit with the one out of the '72 1500 (keep it a roller)

nothing on the Trademe or Facebok Market Place either I see :/

also the I had word from the neighbour @ Perry's in Waipuk that they might be clearing out the whole yard this year (2019) not sure who to contact there but could be a good start?

JoKer

ohh and there should be still at least 1x Avenger diff down @ Wilf's here in DVK unknown condition

(3 cars there I kept eye on)

and I'll check the www.sunbeamcarclubofnewzealand.org.nz spares catalog

Ian Sutherland is their contact

biltong_nz

Quote from: JoKer on December 30, 2018, 06:21:51 PM
yeah either Axle or the Spider gears gone #1 & #2 bet, nothing hanging about soz & bit too keen to hang onto the spares I do gave of those kind (mind you I do have 3x complete sets under cars still)

& there's not really anything else you can swap in from other makes or models sadly without engineering / welding work

Start with jacking it up & pulling Rear cover off (prepare for a mess / couple of Liters of oil will come out)

& that will define your problem & you might get away with just the Nugget (or Pumpkin I've heard some call it)

or if it's an Axle, you can leave the majority of 'diff' there & swap them out (good idea to do both if it is, the other might not last much longer)

at a pinch I 'could' be arm twisted to maybe swap your complete unit with the one out of the '72 1500 (keep it a roller)

nothing on the Trademe or Facebok Market Place either I see :/

also the I had word from the neighbour @ Perry's in Waipuk that they might be clearing out the whole yard this year (2019) not sure who to contact there but could be a good start?

Woooh cheers for that info! I contacted Ron 151 who's got a spare Chrysler Auto diff floating around (3.7:1 I think) so I'll hopefully pick that up. Forgot to mention in original post that I actually removed left rear axle shaft and it was normal - wasn't snapped and spline was intact/nothing ground down so I'm leaning towards spider gears personally.

Thanks though Jared, will definitely keep all of that in mind.

Cheers
1974 Hillman Avenger 1600 Super

JoKer

sweet & yeah you were in kinda the right place to have the mishap LOL looked fun & OS guys are propper GC's

still sus other axle but that's just my experience though I have done equal amounts of Axles vs Diff's so both are kinda weak points when getting worked over (diffs have been at revs & axles under load)

$$ are on the spider gears in a zillion bits, there are technical specs for 'just' changing the head (both axles need to come out for starters) then setting backlash is a dark art I don't think any one knows (involves blue dye)

in short your Plan A of a whole Diff Assembly will be least headaches :P as it keeps things in spec

just awkward being upside down, either on the floor or under a hoist, shit gets heavy trying to line arms up & re attach bolts LOL

JoKer

Least you have a spare axle now!

Hunt on for a diff (or welder up hah) would not advise locker on the road then you will need that spare axle & many more