Main Menu

URGENTLY NEEDED Headlight Switch

Started by biltong_nz, August 08, 2017, 07:22:16 PM

JoKer

Actually the one of these in my alpine is bypassed & I have a Valiant pull style switch

so its either dead too OR you can have it for swap old dead one

I'm not sure how I'd test it tho

biltong_nz

Haven't yet tested with a multimeter. How complicated would it be to just fit a 3 position toggle switch as sort of a temporary thing. Wiring diagrams are confusing haha
1974 Hillman Avenger 1600 Super

JoKer

heh yeah I think you got the right idea & initially I thought it was the dip switch stalk having the issues

biltong_nz

Graeme's contacts haven't replied to any texts yet so not looking very promising and may have to work out a toggle switch :'(

JoKer

are you "Sure" its that switch? ie its usually the Stalk that burns our hence my confusion

biltong_nz

Yep 100% the switch. Just did this dodgy hack job with a spare 2 pole toggle switch I had lying around. Worked a charm and lights are either on or off (no side lights) with the switch. Have to tidy it up tomorrow/make it as safe as possible.

Pics to follow later tonight

azza1600

That switch looks much the same as my old mans triumph 2.5 aye, Being Lucas,  might be worth a try, more parts around for them than Avengers, Think Dad has a few floating around too

biltong_nz

My lights in a nutshell at the moment

JoKer

Gangstar! Do you have a relay in the Headlight system? ie the switch and Stalk are a weakpoint with al lthe current going thru them

biltong_nz

Not the most appealing fix but it'll do for now! Don't think there's a relay in there - honestly lights aren't the brightest, so I guess all the current is going through switch and stalk.

avenga

The old Hillman Avengers don't have relays, all the current goes through the switch and stalk. The later Chrysler ones did have relays, they must have found out it was a weak point by then.

They fail all the time, I remember Ross lost his headlight switch when we were driving down to the Hawkes Bay Avenger meet up years ago. We stopped in a Horopito (Smash Palace) and picked up one on the way back home.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

avengertiger

Did you find a replacement switch I wrecked one at the weekend and there happened to be a spare set of switches on the floor.pm me if need one still.