Main Menu

URGENTLY NEEDED Headlight Switch

Started by biltong_nz, August 08, 2017, 07:22:16 PM

biltong_nz

Headlight switch burnt itself out tonight in downtown Wellington. Headlights stuck on, no tail lights, no dash lights. Made it back to my carpark and disconnected battery. Does anyone know who stocks them or has a spare one? Desperate.

Cheers guys
1974 Hillman Avenger 1600 Super

TheMechanicnz

I think Graeme ekins has some from memory? Cant recall his details at the moment but they're in the forum somewhere.
"It's better to enter a corner slow and come out fast than to go into a corner fast and come out dead"

biltong_nz

Cheers mate, have just sent him an email

JoKer

oh stink! series 3 Land rover switch might be made to work (mate just put one in his Mk 1 Cortina) has all the same functions & needs wiring in, not sure about the fit tho

biltong_nz

Good information there thank you! Might be a back up plan if I can't get my hands on one. Otherwise might have to do a DIY job to get me back to Hawke's Bay in a few weeks

JoKer

Havnt actually seen the landrover thing work in an avenger but looks like it will work, at worst call in my place on way past & rob one from here maybe? the chrysler ones look differnt but I got at least tw of them (obviuosly itd be nice to have it tomorrow etc)

biltong_nz

Will keep that in mind thanks, Jared. Graeme doesn't have any in stock (stock ceased ex UK about 5 years ago), but he put me on to a few Avenger dismantlers scattered around the country to see if they had stock. Still waiting on replies from them, but can see myself doing a temporary hack job over the next few days. If worst comes to worst, may have to do a rudimentary tail-light hack job, as I can easily drive with fog lights I wired myself. We'll see what happens over the next few days though

biltong_nz

Only thing I can do is wait now. However, how the hell do I get the plastic knob off?!? I don't want to yank it off and break it, and workshop manuals aren't the slightest bit clear.

TheMechanicnz

Again from my memory, i think there was a little hole on the back face (on the OD of the knob) that had a grub screw locking it to the switch.
"It's better to enter a corner slow and come out fast than to go into a corner fast and come out dead"

biltong_nz

There is but there isn't! Can't work out if it's just solidly stuck after 40-odd years and just needs brute force.

TheMechanicnz

Its down the very bottom of that hole about a 1mm Hex key i think. Wont be able to see it from the outside, but should be able to feel it with a straightened paperclip.

biltong_nz

Ok finally got it off - weirdly notice how the hole for the grub screw was on the top face of the switch

It seems that the brown terminal is quite burnt and I'm wondering if that's a result of a short between them? Couldn't see how if theoretically it is the same output. Also the blue terminal has a bit of burning evident. Also with knob on, switch has different feel and almost feels like it's spring loaded. I think just a switch is in order. Graeme said there was one in the UK for $60 inc. shipping, so last last resort that'll be the case.

TheMechanicnz

Have you switched your bulb type recently? Need to fit relays if you go to a higher wattage on them, had a similar issue.

biltong_nz

Nope, haven't done anything. Only added fog lights at the start of the year but that's all fused and relayed and independent to the headlights etc.

avenga

Have you tested the switch with a multimeter? See if it is opening and closing.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography